One of my favorite desserts is peach cobbler. I know. I know. We should eat what’s in season—like apple cobbler (that’s my next recipe). I just had this yen, and it wouldn’t go away. I had to get it out of my system…I mean into my system.
This is a healthier version. That’s gluten-free with some added protein from the almond topping; vegan; and sweetened with coconut crystals, a low glycemic sugar alternative.
It got rave reviews from my husband. John said, “This tastes like a peach cobbler should taste.”
Serves 6 to 8
Preheat oven 375°
7×7 inch square Pyrex dish
1. two bags of frozen organic sliced peaches (10 oz. each), thawed—save liquid
2. ten dried pitted dates (four added to peaches and six added to topping)
3. pinch of salt
4. one teaspoon of cinnamon
5. two cups of soaked almonds
6. two Tablespoons of coconut crystals
7. one teaspoon of aluminum-free baking powder
8. four Tablespoons of coconut oil
9. one teaspoon of vanilla
In a pot:
1. Add the thawed peaches and all the liquid.
2. Add cinnamon.
3. Slice four pitted dates into pieces—lengthwise, crosswise. Add to pot.
4. Simmer until soft.
Filling should be thick, a bit thinner than honey. Taste to adjust sweetness. Add more dates or some coconut crystal. Four dates was sweet enough for me!
Mix in a bowl:
1. two cups of almond flour—grind in blender or food processor.
2. Slice six pitted dates into pieces—lengthwise, crosswise. Add to bowl.
3. Add two Tablespoons of coconut crystals (try one tablespoon, add more if needed)
4. Add one teaspoon of aluminum-free baking powder,
5. Add four Tablespoons of coconut oil (straight from the jar)
6. Add one teaspoon of vanilla.
7. Mix and squeeze with hands.
Place the peaches in Pyrex dish. Spoon topping onto filling. Bake until slightly golden—about 35 minutes.
Suggestions and Recommendations:
1. Use Deglet Noor Dates if possible.
2. Top with fresh whipped cream (grass-fed cream) to slow down the sugars.
3. To enhance your dining pleasure, may I suggest that you pair this peach cobbler with the viewing of my painting, Peaches and Cream.